101 in 1001

Friday, July 18, 2014

Realizations

"In just a few months, I'll never have to see all of these people ever again" is a sentence I said, I'm not kidding you, at least a hundred times during senior year and each time I was more and more excited to get it all over with. 

It's taken me until now to realize the full effect of that sentence. 


I was walking through Target talking to my dad on the phone today. We don't get a chance to talk much so I was telling him about my schedule for the month of August. I'll be in Michigan the first week. South Carolina (hopefully) for a weekend trip to the beach. Then my brother and sister start school on Wednesday the 13th. (My sister will be a freshman in at Henry Clay. Whaaaaat?) I move into the dorms the 16th. The 17th is both my 18th birthday and the first day of Rush Week. I'll rush that week. The next week is what's called KWeek which is pretty much just all the freshman meeting and hanging out. Classes start. Then it's September. Long story short, summer is basically over and things are about to change more than I can even imagine. In the middle of telling my dad all of this, I saw a guy that was in my computer apps class freshman year. I probably hadn't had a conversation with him since. After asking how we were, he asked where and when I was going to college. (This question is as common as 'how are you' nowadays.) He's moving a full eight hours away to Auburn and his Move In Day is in just three short weeks. We talked for only a few more seconds about how scary this whole process is. As we said goodbye, a wave of realization came over me. This was more than likely the very last encounter I'll ever have with him. And, the part that really gets me, is that there are probably more than 400 other kids that were a part of my class, just like him, that I won't ever see again either. 

I almost had an emotional breakdown right there in the middle of Target while completely by myself. I could feel my eyes get watery. (Thankfully, I held it in). This was the first time I truly realized the meaning of that sentence at the beginning and I regret saying it to begin with. 




You'll always hold a special place in my heart, Henry Clay c/o 2014. 
I love you.

Until next time, 
Amanda Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment