101 in 1001

Friday, July 25, 2014

Deer Silhouette Canvas

I've watched HGTV for years now (a lot more when it was actually interior design and not house hunting). But literally for years. I remember when I was in middle school and I was determined that I was going to become an interior designer. I loved how you could made a bare room so warm, cozy and personalized. There was this one episode of Design Stars that had this 3D silhouette of a deer in their space. At the time I thought it was so strange but as my styles have changed throughout the years, I've found myself looking back at how cool it was. So now that I have my space (a tiny dorm space but regardless) I wanted one. 

Now, you obviously can't have a giant 3-demenional deer head in your dorm room. I compromised and found a really cool looking canvas version on Pinterest. So I recreated it.   

It was surprisingly super easy! 


What you'll need: 


A stencil (I found one online) 
A canvas
Two different colors of paint (I used silver and gold)
A round sponge brush
A small sponge brush
A thin paintbrush (not pictured)
A plate for the paint (not pictured)
Pencil (not pictured)

Step one // Trace your stencil onto your canvas. It's totally okay if your lines are a little jagged since you're going to paint over it. 

Here's mine! Definitely not anywhere near perfect. 

Step two // Paint your deer head! I started with the head part of its head. (As strange as that sounds... but you get it). The small sponge brush is the best one to use here. I switched to the thin brush once I got to the ears and antlers that way you had a bit more control of the movements. Make sure you do two coats of the paint! That way you get the best color. 

Step three // Using your other color, dip the round brush into your other color and paint dots a llllllll over the canvas. You can go as crazy or as subtle as you want with this one. It's all up to how you wanted the final product to look. 


Step four // I'm not sure if you can really tell in that picture but the sponge left an odd texture to the canvas after you painted it. So I used my thin brush again and painted in all the spots that weren't filled by the sponge. 





And tada. You have a super cute deer silhouette canvas!!!!!

It'll look cute in just about any dorm/bed room out there. 

Until next time, 
Amanda Kate 






(PS I'm planning on pairing it with this super cute monogrammed canvas I also made.)

No comments:

Post a Comment